Home Cloverlands  Photo's photo's 2 Open Hours News Library Snooker Contact details Links
Reg. Charity No.   1113442

The Montgomery Institute was build in 1924 on land sold by Robert Henry Bunner to the Borough of Montgomery in 1920. The 1st Baron Davies of Llandinam then paid £4000 for the building to contractors Ridge and Haynes of Oswestry . The site had previously been a half-timbered wheelwright’s house.

The Davies Family of Llandinam story began with David Davies (1818-1890) who from humble beginnings became, in turn, successful farmer and then a successful contractor who built numerous roads and bridges. Known as ‘Top Sawyer’ he then moved into railway construction both in Mid and south Wales, culminating in his ‘crowning triumph’, the construction of Barry Docks linked by rail to the Rhondda collieries.

‘Top Sawyer’ also found time to be an MP from 1874 to 1886 and was treasurer and governor of Universal College, Aberystwyth.

His son Edward only lived till his mid-forties (1852 - 1898), but his grandson David Davies, 1st Baron Davies, was MP for Montgoneryshire 1906 - 1929 and was created the benefactor of the Montgomery Institute building (in 1924) along with several other buildings throughout the county. His sisters Gwendoline and Margaret Davies purchased and developed Gregynog Hall and later donated it to be used as a study centre for the University of Wales.

Sadly the 2nd Baron Davies was killed in action in Holland in 1944, dying in the same year as his father, following which the 3rd Baron Davies (1940 to date) succeeded  to the Baronetcy.He became a chartered engineer, sat in the House of Lords until 1999 when legislation reduced the number of peers.

For twenty five years (1975 to 2000) David Davies,3rd Baron Davies, was Chairman of the Welsh National Opera.  



Montgomery Institute      the Home of

Cloverlands model car collection


Montgomery itself is a tranquil market town full of unspoiled architecture and an ideal stop-off point for anyone touring Wales. there are two cafe’s in the Market square selling good homemade food, a historical hotel just off the square and overlooking it all is the ruins of Montgomery Castle. The spectacular panoramic view from the ramparts is breathtaking and on a clear day you can literally see for miles. Opposite Cloverlands in Arthur Street is the Old Bell Museum which gives an over view of Montgomery civic history. Also the down the road is the famous Bunner’s store. If you can’t find what you what then it hasn’t been made yet! People come from miles around simply to shop there.   

The Montgomery Institute is situated on Arthur Street, in the middle of the beautiful Mid-Wales town of Montgomery. The building has had a varied history and has been the venue for various clubs and societies, including a youth club. It still houses the town library which is run by volunteers and the snooker club, with its full size table.  The original library and reading room, which has lain semi-redundant for some years, is now a museum for the Cloverlands car collection
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail